Beginning Saturday, September 3rd the New Bremen – German Twp. Fire Department will begin the annual testing of the village’s fire hydrant system. Testing will be done each Saturday morning between 7:30 am and noon.
The scheduled completion date for testing is October 1st. The Fire Department and Village would like to take this opportunity to provide a few tips to residents to ensure that testing is successful.
- Slightly discolored water may be seen when turning on faucets, this is normal and the water is safe.
- If discoloration is seen, run the water at full capacity for a few seconds or until the water runs clear again.
- If possible, avoid washing clothes or running a dishwasher during testing times.
- Avoid driving through water as the hydrant is actively being tested.
- Brief periods of ponding may occur after hydrant flushing, avoid these areas while driving.
- Ensure storm drains are clear of grass clippings, leaves, and other debris to minimize any localized ponding.
- Do not park in front of a fire hydrant, and during testing times avoid parking within 30 feet of the hydrant of either side of the street.
- If you notice any leaks on or around your property, please contact the New Bremen Police Department’s non-emergency number @ 419-629-3036 or 419-629-3371.
- Occasionally, landscaping that is in close proximity to a hydrant may be disturbed. Firefighters will attempt to repair any displaced landscaping to the best of their ability.